Last year, Connor Franta uploaded a video titled 23 things I’ve learned at 23 and it was such a beautiful and creative idea that I wanted to do something similar on my 24th birthday last month. Unfortunately, I’m nowhere near as talented with a camera as he is AND I couldn’t film because I was away, so now you’re stuck with my thoughts in a blog post instead of a video 😉
Here are 24 things that took me 24 years to understand.
1. Happiness is a choice. You know how you can name your alarms? I set mine as ‘Today is going to be a good day.’ Because I truly believe that maybe some days are going to be harder than others and that’s something I can’t control. But I can choose happiness.
2. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no
3. You can’t please everyone. I spent many, many unhappy years trying to please everyone because I couldn’t stand the idea of anyone thinking badly of me. It took me so long to realise that you simply just cannot make everyone happy and that is in no way a reflection of who you are.
4. If you don’t Instagram it, it didn’t happen Be present. Be in the moment.
5. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King Jnr. There was a time when I thought that standing up for the people you love was a form of aggression. Good thing 24 years of strong fictional female leads taught me otherwise, right? 😉
6. It’s (usually!) not as bad as you think.
7. Don’t settle because you think you don’t deserve any better. People might call you picky. But don’t we have just one chance to live this life? And if there is one thing you should be picky about…shouldn’t it be this?
8. Keep your sense of wonder.
9. Learn to let people go. People are going to walk in and out of your life – don’t blame yourself for not being able to hold onto everyone you meet.
And at the same time,
10. Let go of unhealthy friendships. Love yourself enough to know when you need to walk away.
11. Money can’t buy happiness It can buy books. Enough said.
12. “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” – Dr. Seuss. Be wholly, outrageously, one hundred percent yourself.
13. Be kind to your body. If you wouldn’t say those things about someone else’s body, don’t say it to your own.
14. Communication is key. Unfortunately, despite our many technological advances, we still haven’t mastered the art of mind reading. 😉 So many relationships – work, romantic, friendships – fall apart because of poor communication. I’ve made it a point not to let it happen to mine!
15. “No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind.” – Taylor Swift
16. There is ALWAYS room for dessert.
17. Don’t judge. My boss taught me that as soon as you judge someone, you limit what you can offer them.
18. Focus on your own journey. Don’t compare. DO NOT COMPARE.
19. “Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you’re a good person is like expecting a bull not to attack you because you’re a vegetarian.” – Dennis Wholey. I see bad things happen to good people all the time, and it used to upset me so much. But that kind of thinking is dangerous, and so I remind myself that life is unfair sometimes, but I’ll be ok. We’ll be ok.
20. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Worst case scenario: I was wrong. Best case scenario: Maybe I’ve given someone the second chance they were waiting for their whole life.
21. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
22. Family isn’t always about the people you were born with. It’s the people who love you. Who promise to always, always have your back.
23. ‘Me’ time is important 🙂 Don’t feel guilty for wanting to spend time with yourself!
24. “Do not find peace. Find passion.” – Michelle Hodkin, The Retribution of Mara Dyer. How did I not see it before? That there is a difference between simply existing, and choosing to fill my life with things I’m passionate about?
If you’re still reading – thank you!! ❤ Let me know if there are any quotes/affirmations that you live by and I’ll be back tomorrow with a T5W post 🙂